Home » Release Notes »
Changes in version 3.3 (Dec 21, 2016)
- Added an “Insert Codons” dialog.
- Added an “Insert Restriction Sites” dialog.
- Added an “Insert Feature” dialog.
(Requested by Rolf Hansen, Ron Godiska)
- Added an “Insert Reverse Translation” dialog.
- Added a new interface for designing a synthetic DNA construct.
- Provided the option of browsing common features by type.
- Provided the option of defining features as “Favorites”.
- Added support for embedding external files in a SnapGene file.
(Requested by Teresa Grider, Alan Howe)
- Enabled batch conversion between file formats.
- Enabled import from NCBI using gene ID's.
(Requested by Barbara Baker)
- Added an importer for Clone Manager .cx5 files.
(Requested by Elaine Shapland)
- Added an importer for Geneious DNA and protein .geneious sequence files.
(Requested by Alex Triassi)
- Added a "Cut" button to the top toolbar.
- Added GeneDireX MW markers.
(Requested by Kaoru Nakasone)
- Added NIPPON GENE MW markers.
(Requested by Kazuki Motomura)
- Added VWR Peqlab MW markers.
(Requested by Florian Sonntag)
- Added Carl Roth MW markers.
(Requested by Steffen Helbich)
- Provided a control for vertically scaling aligned trace data.
- Enhanced the DNA calculations window to display the copy number.
(Requested by YC)
- Updated TA TOPO vectors to include terminal phosphates.
- Added a "Select Recognition Sequence" command to the enzyme context menus.
- Dramatically sped up searching feature descriptions in Features view.
- Enhanced import from Addgene to include PubMed references.
- Provided Undo support for adding and removing enzymes from the chosen set.
- Added feature and primer context menus when using action dialogs.
- Provided robust high-DPI support on Windows.
- Added /function data to feature tooltips.
(Requested by Xavier Danthinne)
- Added a 10-bp minimum ORF length menu option to the Translation Options and
(Requested by Jialin)
- Added a message in the Simulate Agarose Gel dialog clarifying when enzymes cannot
be used because they cut the template too many times.
(Requested by Pieter deJong)
- Reduced margins and improved usability of various manipulation dialogs on smaller screens.
(Suggested by Paul Jaschke)
- Turned off the default setting of showing translations when viewing common features.
- Removed the long discontinued TliI from the enzyme database.
- Added a button for restoring the default properties of common features.
- Ensured that all display options are now maintained when switching between features in
the Browse Common Features dialog.
- Provided keyboard shortcuts in button tooltips in the top toolbar, launch dialog,
and the toggle 3-letter codes button in the Map & Sequence Options dialog.
- Improved sorting by primer Tm.
- Switched from "kb" to "bp for the new "XLarge DNA Ladder RT" MW marker from GeneDireX.
- Swapped order of Add/Remove buttons when editing feature qualifiers.
- Unified toolbars in all dialogs on macOS.
- Improved the look and feel of draggable splitters.
- Made various textual, color, icon, alignment and other enhancements.
- Ensured that if a window is minimized, it will be shown after
clicking the associated menu command.
(Reported by Tracy Wilson)
- Fixed an issue where features were sometimes unnecessarily omitted from maps.
(Reported by Tim Rand)
- Improved the accuracy of band patterns on agarose gels after zooming.
(Reported by Benjamin Spreng)
- Improved stability when using the Simulate Agarose Gel dialog.
(Reported by Joseph Sheehan)
- Fixed an issue that caused SnapGene to hang when opening a file with a
“renumber base history” operation while using the Japanese interface setting.
(Reported by Tomomi Sato)
- Improved the decoding of dates from 2016 and later from Vector NTI databases.
(Reported by William Widner)
- Improved feature import from Vector NTI protein sequences.
(Reported by William Widner)
- Fixed an issue with opening some MacVector .nucl files.
(Reported by Roei Mazor)
- Improved the display of trace data for aligned sequences when viewed on
a high-DPI display using Windows.
(Reported by William Law)
- Removed sources of confusion when interacting with ancestral features in History view.
(Reported by Michael Nielsen)
- Fixed an issue with updating the position of feature cleavage arrows when
performing a large insertion or replacement upstream.
(Reported by Tore Dehli)
- Ensured robust primer design in various contexts where
compatible overhangs must be created.
(Reported by Wei Guo)
- Enhanced the import of oligos from Vector NTI database and oligo archives.
(Requested by Dominique Aubert Skovlund)
- Improved the consistency of importing full sequences from Addgene.
(Reported by ChangHee Lee)
- Fixed an issue where copying and pasting portions of aligned sequences could transfer
invalid feature data.
(Reported by Lianna)
- Ensured a robust response when opening or pasting FASTA-encoded protein sequences.
(Reported by Steven Erickson)
- Tweaked the wording when using Cut, Delete Amino Acids, or Insert Amino Acids in
SnapGene Viewer, where the resulting dialog referred to bases instead of amino acids.
- Improved the painting of full sequence colored ranges or N-stretches in
- Ensured the translation of "None selected" to Japanese
in various contexts.
- Fixed an issue where if you cleared the sequence in the New, Insert, and
Replace Bases/Amino Acids dialogs, the length was not reported correctly.
- Ensured the correct font size for error message in import dialogs on Windows.
- Ensured proper resetting of controls in the “Choose Alternative Codons” dialog
after resetting the codon usage table to "None".
- Fixed an issue where specifying "Met" in insertions controls in the
Add/Edit/Duplicate Primer dialogs would result in "ATG" being listed twice
in the list of codons that can be inserted.
- Corrected the message that appears after clicking the disabled toggle 3-letter codes button when no
sequence is loaded.
- Ensured that the subsidiary controls in the Reverse Translate dialog
are disabled when appropriate.
- Fixed an issue where choosing a custom vector when using the TA, GC, or
Gateway cloning dialogs did not update the Product tab.
- Ensured that keyboard shortcuts for Undo and Redo
trigger a result even if an editable pull-down menu has focus.
- Improved the stability of circular map sizes as the window
- Fixed a comment for BsoBI in the Restriction Enzymes dialog.
- Ensured that it is possible to edit the directionality
of multiple translated features at once using Edit DNA Features.
- Updated the names of various enzyme suppliers and standard sequence authors.
- Fixed an issue where dropping a file on the References pane in the Description
panel should not have any effect.
- Enhanced stability when changing the font size or triggering
other keyboard shortcuts when no document is loaded in a manipulation dialog.
- Fixed an issue where the "show features on line" button would appear in a
manipulation dialog after switching away from and then back to Map view.
- Ensured that tooltips for bottom strand ORFs show MW values.
- Ensured that the name for files opened from web links do not use “%” encoded symbols.
- Ensured that the "Detect Common Features" checkbox is always visible
when using the "New DNA File" and "Insert/Replace Bases" dialogs.
- Improved stability when Paste or other keyboard shortcuts were quickly tapped multiple times before
the Insert/Replace Bases dialog could be shown.
- Provided consistent use of bold font for disclosable
labels in the Letter Codes dialog.
- Prevented the display of irrelevant messages when clicking disabled buttons in the
side toolbar of an empty manipulation dialog.
- Improved the rendering of pliancy for enzymes, features, and primer names
in circular and linear maps.
- Added missing HTC and ENV (high-throughput cDNA and environmental sampling)
Natural DNA sequence class options.
- Fixed an issue that resulted in the right side of tooltips being clipped slightly.
- Enhanced anonymous statistics to identify macOS 10.12 as "Sierra”.
- Prevented the use of invalid characters in filenames on Linux.
- Improved the disk image background on macOS 10.11 and later.
- Fixed a potential hang when formatting floating point numbers for display.
- Improved the formatting of negative floating point numbers.
- Prevented a potential issue with invalid network time stamps.
- Improved the translation numbering of multi-segment
reverse directional features when using the Make Protein command.
- Closed a loophole that allowed feature translation
options to be edited in read-only contexts (manipulation dialogs) by using
the Sequence view minimap.
- Ensured that "Reverse Translate" using degenerate codons works for amino acids
with only one codon (e.g., M = ATG).
- Fixed an issue where TA cloning could fail when using a non-TOPO vector and
phosphate groups on either the vector or insert.
- Corrected a rare glitch where feature names in linear maps could sometimes
be drawn on top of each other.
- Improved stability when closing documents.
- Improved stability when opening recent documents from the launch dialog.
- Fixed an issue that prevented hiding the launch dialog on macOS using
File → Close or the Cmd+W keyboard shortcut.
- Improved stability when generating products in action dialogs.
- Fixed an issue with macOS system menus that could cause instability
or erroneous messages.
- Prevented a rare stability issue when using the Simulate Agarose Gel dialog
when a template used for PCR is modified outside the dialog.
- Prevented a crash with Insert Bases when the session also has embedded files and thread deadlocking UI.
- Enhanced the flexibility of opening files on macOS and Linux.
- Prevented a crash in case an embedded trace fails to load.
- Improved stability when quitting the application.
- Various other stability improvements.