Home » Release Notes »
Changes in version 4.2 (Jul 9, 2018)
Note: SnapGene 4.2 requires macOS 10.10 or later.
- Added multiple alignment tools for DNA and protein sequences.
(Requested by hundreds of customers)
- Implemented tabbed window support for macOS.
(Requested by Kasey and others)
- Enabled import of a database in CSV format into a collection.
(Requested by James Burchfield)
- Enabled display in Sequence view of any of the six reading frames.
(Requested by Assunta Diodato, Matthias Goerlach, Paul Shapiro, and others)
- Added file exchange tools for the LabArchives ELN.
- Allowed sequence traces to be exported to FASTA and plain text formats.
- Added Biotium MW markers.
(Requested by Hussein Abkallo)
- Added "φ29 – HindIII" MW Marker.
(Requested by Manuel Miras Marín)
- Added "λ DNA – EcoT14I" MW Marker.
(Requested by Nori)
- Added Enzynomics MW markers.
(Requested by the Department of Parasitology and Tropical Medicine)
- Restored original "1 Kb Plus DNA Ladder" from Thermo Fisher (Invitrogen).
(Requested by Martin Schmidt, Aminu Jahun, Chris McDermott-Roe and Shih-wei Chen)
- Facilitated unattended installations by adding support for accepting the EULA and
registering and unregistering via the command line interface.
- Improved the placement of features in Map view so that certain types of related features
are in the same row.
- Made the selection behavior more consistent and predictable in Map view, especially in
(Requested by Thomas Seine and Elisabeth)
- Increased the number of allowed fragments to ten when inserting or assembling.
(Requested by Álvaro Muñoz-López)
- Added the "Set Translation Numbering..." command to relevant context menus.
(Requested by Karl Brune)
- Enhanced the mouse indicator to indicate the offset within the selection when mousing
over DNA bases in Sequence view.
(Requested by Steven Erickson)
- Improved the drag selection behavior in circular maps.
(Requested by Elisabeth)
- Improved the Find tool to show the closest match to the currently displayed portion of the sequence
instead of the first match in the entire sequence.
(Requested by Adrian Ross)
- Made extensive speedups and other optimizations.
- Enabled the NCBI importer to accept UniProt accession numbers.
- Moved options related to files to a separate tab in the Preferences dialog,
and added new options for working with files.
- Added the option to hide the Order button, and added a "How Ordering Works" command.
- Added a "Note About Tm Values" command that explains how Tm values are calculated.
- Enhanced the "Format Tips" window to explain use of the COMPLEMENT operator when
importing from NCBI.
- Improved inserting codons and other content into a primer sequence by placing
the cursor as one would intuitively expect.
- Improved the default view tab shown when using "New File from Selection."
- Migrated "Add Custom Codon Usage Table" to a dedicated button to improve discoverability.
- Added "Choose Alternative Codons..." to the translated feature context menus.
- Enhanced the menus in the top toolbar to provide commands relevant to collections, and
added "Open File" to the Open menu.
- Streamlined the controls in Preferences for specifying if 1- or 3-letter codes should be
shown by default, by offering to mirror changes for DNA and protein sequences.
- Added a link to "Preferences" to the launch dialog on Windows.
- Updated the Restriction Enzymes and Common Features databases.
- Updated the embedded vector sets for Gateway cloning and TA and GC cloning.
- Made various color, textual, visual alignment and rendering enhancements.
- Ensured that "Find protein sequence" will return matches to feature translations that
span multiple features.
(Requested by John Leonard, Patrick McGrath, and Omar Bazirgan)
- Improved the display of selected amino acids at the ends of rows in Sequence view.
(Reported by Dan Strongin)
- Fixed an issue with displaying feature translations when viewing primer binding sites
at or near the numerical origin.
(Reported by Lagnajeet Pradhan)
- Enabled use of the command line interface on Linux without an X server.
(Requested by Novozymes)
- Improved stability when using SnapGene on Linux via VNC.
(Reported by Tom Chappell)
- Fixed an issue with highlighting matches and showing selections in sequence traces.
(Reported by Moin)
- Ensured that the "DNA Calculations" window always shows information
about the active selection.
(Reported by Scott James)
- Ensured consistent letter spacing in Sequence view on Windows when using multiple screens.
(Reported by Gian Mario Dore)
- Preserved the file location in the folder hierarchy when renaming a file in a collection
(Reported by Carles Alvarez )
- Preserved the original numbering of protein sequences when using "New File from Selection".
(Reported by Karl Brune)
- Fixed an issue with saving a file into the proper collection folder.
(Reported by Carles Alvarez)
- Fixed an issue with using files stored on an SMB network share via the Gnome Virtual
File System (GVFS) protocol on Linux.
(Reported by Kai Zhou)
- Corrected a stability issue when renaming folders in collections on macOS.
(Reported by Jorge)
- Fixed an issue with embedding and resurrecting ancestors to protein sequences, and with
undoing protein sequence modifications.
(Reported by Karl Brune)
- Ensured that files saved to collections always appear in Folder and List views.
(Reported by Carles Alvarez)
- Sped up addition, removal, and editing of custom common features on Windows.
(Reported by Wulf Dirk)
- Improved the unified toolbar appearance on macOS High Sierra.
- Provided real-time feedback so that customizing the top toolbar immediately updates all
toolbars to show the new options.
- Ensured that right clicking does not modify the selection in a list in the
Restriction Enzymes and Simulate Agarose Gel dialogs.
- Enhanced History view so that if the display is limited to one level, history colors are
shown for the last logged ancestor and operation.
- Improved the display of features in aligned sequences that do not exactly match
the reference sequence.
- Improved decoding of the comment line from FASTA files.
- Improved the rendering of features.
- Improved the selection behavior in lists.
- Fixed an issue where the second segment in a multi-segment feature was selected automatically
when using the Edit Feature command.
- Improved the decoding of non-UTF-8-encoded GenBank files that contain Greek symbols and
other characters outside the normal alphabet.
- Ensured that file dialogs persist appropriately on macOS.
- Disabled the "Export DNA" command in the Simulate Agarose Gel dialog and other dialogs
where it was nonfunctional.
- Improved the display of a primer description when space is limited and the primer has
multiple binding sites.
- Improved the rendering of overlapping selections and yellow "Find" highlighting in
- Improved the reliability of detecting the topology in some GenBank files.
- Added logic to preserve the creation date from GenBank files.
- Simplified the oligo name controls in the Anneal Oligos dialog.
- Added licensing information to the Linux .deb package.
- Fixed an issue with included plasmids with single quotes in their names in the Linux
- Improved the import of primers from FASTA-formatted lists that are RTF encoded
- Configured tooltips in protein sequences to persist rather than disappearing after a
- Ensured that the source menu in a cloning dialog will list the active template file from
a collection even if the collection is closed.
- Fixed a bug where source menus might not always select recently browsed files with
very long names.
- Ensured that clicking Escape always hides the Find controls when viewing a sequence trace.
- Ensured that if the clipboard contains a valid protein sequence but lacks A's,
C's, G's and T's, the protein window will still allow pasting.
- Prevented the "Import NCBI Sequences" command from hanging
if no terminator symbol (//) is included at the end of the downloaded content.
- Ensured that exact searches for queries that include U will produce correct
matches on the bottom strand of DNA sequences.
- Ensured that "Undo" will revert the modification date shown in the Description panel.
- Fixed an issue with ordering an edited but unsaved DNA sequence from VectorBuilder.
- Corrected links from the interface to open the relevant tab in Preferences.
- Fixed an issue where after clearing the Sequence Author, the previous value returned
unexpectedly when modifying another field in the Description Panel.
- Improved the algorithms for displaying, updating, and copying cleavage arrows that are
located at an end of a feature.
- Improved the display of feature codon selections in Sequence view.
- Fixed the listing in the Window menu of open collections with selected files.
- Improved the reliability of keyboard shortcuts for commands in cascading menus on macOS.
- Provided automatic selection of the "From" value in "Edit → Select Range" when no selection is present.
- Improved the conversion of UniProt sequences.
- Prevented the application from hanging when switching from a placeholder file to a non-empty sequence in a collection.
- Disabled "View → Edit Map Labels" when no sequence is being viewed.
- Improved batch conversion of files.
- Improved the identification of CPU and related information on Linux.
- Increased stability when exporting a selection.
- Fixed a stability issue with opening compressed sequence trace files.
- Fixed an issue with saving sequence traces using the ZTR1, ZTR2, and ZTR3 file formats.