Home » Release Notes »
Changes in version 5.1 (Apr 14, 2020)
- Enabled DNA and protein sequence windows to be split to show two views, one above the other.
(Requested over the years by multiple users)
- Added support in the Description Panel for various reference types including books,
database entries, patents (which can be imported from online databases), theses, web
links, and more.
- Configured /citation qualifier values to link to specific references, which are
accessible via tooltips and clickable links in Features view.
- Added optional page number entries for /citation qualifiers.
- Enabled enzyme visibility to be adjusted in Enzymes view using check boxes, mirroring the
controls used for Features and Primers views.
- Enabled flexible feature detection with an adjustable similarity threshold when importing
features from another file.
- Added support for exporting aligned sequence trace data using a tab-separated format.
(Requested by Yves Girerd-Chambaz)
- Enabled BLAST for multiple selected sequence files in a collection.
(Requested by Charles Dozois)
- Added a pre-defined enzyme set for Type IIS enzymes.
- Enabled import of features or primers from another file, or detection of common
features, for multiple selected DNA files in a collection.
(Requested by Michael Gotrik)
- Enabled simultaneous flipping of multiple selected DNA sequences in a collection.
- Added support for linking folders of the same name in different areas of a collection,
with "Go to ..." shortcuts for switching between related folders in different areas.
(Requested by Mily Ron)
- Enabled the "Make Protein" and "Reverse Translate" commands, when operating within a
collection, to save the output files to a linked folder in a different area of the
- Added support for batch replacement of Description Panel fields for files in a collection.
(Requested by Samuel Tremblay-Belzile)
- Added MW markers from Nacalai Tesque.
(Requested by Tomonori Hoshino)
- Added MW markers from FroggaBio.
(Requested by Michael Ostrovski)
- Added MW markers from Newmarket Scientific.
(Requested by Sabrina)
- Added the remaining TrackIt™ MW markers from Thermo Fisher.
(Requested by Slava Gurevich)
- Improved feature tooltips when using compact mode in Sequence view.
(Requested by Bandar)
- Reduced the height of linear maps by enabling items to be superimposed without
(Requested by Vishal Chaudhari)
- Changed the defaults to show HF® and FastDigest® information in the Restriction Enzymes
dialog, while allowing these defaults to be adjusted.
(Requested by Silvana Jirka)
- Enhanced the File > Export cascading menu to enable export of multiple files or a list of
files from a collection.
(Requested by Gurumoorthy Krishnamoorthy)
- Added support for a color attribute when importing features from GFF3 format.
(Requested by Matthew Kirk)
- Added support for specifying the line break characters when exporting to text file formats.
(Requested by Tim Fallon and Tom Chappell)
- Enabled long map labels to span two lines in circular Map view.
(Requested by Chun Cao)
- Configured Sequence view to retain visibility of the scrolled region when toggling
(Requested by Kengo Adachi)
- Enhanced the flexibility of code number display in collection lists.
(Requested by Tim Nierhaus)
- Added a keyboard shortcut for "Import UniProt Sequences".
(Requested by James Wright)
- Enabled colors in multiple sequence alignments to be copied to the clipboard.
(Requested by Monir Ejemel)
- Provided the option to differentiate "A" traces using a striped pattern for users with
color vision disabilities.
- Provided an adjustable similarity threshold for detecting common features.
- Enabled the "Make Protein", "Reverse Translate", and "New File From Selection" commands
to save the output files to the same collection.
- Allowed the genetic code to be specified when converting a selection in a DNA
alignment to a protein alignment.
- Ensured that when sorting by Code Number or Alias in a collection, any files with blank
entries are placed at the end of the list.
- Converted SnapGene to a 64-bit application on Windows, thereby improving performance and
- Ensured that scrollbars are shown only when necessary in Map, Sequence, and History views.
- Improved the wording in the Restriction Enzymes dialog to make it clearer when a supplier
offers multiple variants of an enzyme.
- Changed the License Agreement dialog so that it is no longer modal, and added support for
printing or saving this document using keyboard shortcuts.
- Made various textual, color, and icon enhancements.
- Configured the Find control to show bottom strand results when using compact format in
(Requested by Bandar)
- Prevented extra line breaks from appearing after export of some qualifier values
to GenBank and EMBL formats.
(Reported by Karen Ross)
- Ensured that all controls in alignment dialogs can be translated into Japanese or Chinese.
- Ensured that collection folder names for selected items never appear in List view.
- Enabled scrolling up using Shift + Spacebar in Sequence view.
- Fixed paging up and down using Function + Up/Down keys, and scrolling to the start or end
of the sequence using Function + Left/Right keys.
- Ensured that ancestral blunt cutters can be shown in green in
History view after import from Vector NTI® or other file formats.
- Prevented unnecessarily asking to add methylation when specifying "Escherichia coli" as
the Source for a Natural DNA sequence.
- Corrected an error with internal array data when editing trace sequences.
- Ensured that linearizing or circularizing a DNA sequence populates the Sequence Author
field with the default author.
- Configured Enzymes view to show enzyme sites in red upon mouseover in both the main view
and the lower map.
- Corrected codon frequencies for reverse directional ORFs.
- Ensured that the Description Panel flows to the bottom of the window
when zoom controls are shown.
- Fixed various issues with importing primers into DNA files in a collection.
- Ensured that the map label in a circular map never overlaps features.
- Disable menu File > Export > History when no history exists in sequence file.
- Fix Blasting selected primer in a collection file.
- Fix Tools > Blast Selected Protein with a collection file.
- Ensured that the Previous button in the Find controls is shown in blue only if the Shift
key and no other key is pressed.
- Adjusted the behavior for sequence traces so that mousing over an ambiguous base darkens
the curves for multiple bases.
- Prevented accented characters from being accidentally inserted into a DNA or protein
sequence when holding down letter keys on macOS.
- Improved the foreground color within features while using compact Sequence view.
- Improved feature pliancy while using compact Sequence view.
- Fixed an issue in which pressing the Shift key resulted in a button changing color
in the "Import Features from a SnapGene File" and "Detect Common Features" dialogs.
- Improved the look and feel of controls for Enzymes view on Windows.
- Preserved formatting when creating hyperlinks.
- Improved horizontal alignment of values shown in the Properties tab for protein sequences.
- Enabled proper export of /citation qualifier values to GenBank, GenPept, and EMBL formats.
- Ensured that suppliers remain selected after dragging them in the Enzymes tab of the
- Updated the MW calculation for a full sequence in the DNA Calculations window after 5'
phosphates are added or removed.
- Enabled bottom strand matches to search queries in Sequence view when using compact mode.
- Ensured that qualifier selections in Features view are cleared when selecting features
or transferring focus to the Description Panel.
- Configured a collection to show and select imported files even when those files are not in the
currently chosen category.
- Fixed an issue that could result in labels for Site features not being shown entirely
within a protein sequence window.
- Improved the horizontal placement of names and connecting lines for site features in
- Fixed an issue in which selections in Features and Primers views sometimes remained blue
after focus was transferred to the Description Panel.
- Disabled controls for setting the DNA color when using either compact Sequence view or
Map view with features on the DNA line.
- Fixed issues with displaying enzymes that make two double-stranded cuts when a site is
near the end of a linear sequence.
- SNAP-6417 Copy Alignment Colors to Clipboard
Requested by Monir Ejemel.
- SNAP-6783 Import VNTI Express Designer Database
Reported by Dave Karig.
- SNAP-6785 Crash Importing VNTI Express Designer Enzyme Names
Reported by Dave Karig.